Things change pretty fast. Decades ago, we all run to the bookstore to grab the latest novel of your favorite author, non-fiction or fiction new books or just about anything. With the latest technology and the use of internet, life has been so easy with just a tap of the finger.
What is an eBook?
An eBook is an electronic book; one you read digitally on your computer, laptop, eBook readers, tablets or smartphones. It is an electronic version of a previously published and printed book or a newly released one.
Not all eBooks are free. A person may gain access to reading them, but must still use citation methods if quoting them, or may need to ask the author if the book can be cited or reproduced.
Some authors have found the eBook to be the perfect way to self-publish. They cut out the middlemen like agents and publishers, and can offer their novels or non-fiction for a small fee to interested readers.
An eBook is deemed useless without a reader. A paper like technology called e-ink eliminates most eyestrain problems of an e-reader such as Amazon’s Kindle, Sony’s eReader series, Jinke’s Hanlin reader series to name a few.
Advantages of an eBook
- Simply readable with the reader’s zoom functions, letter resizing, and so forth.
- You can carry manifold books in one device, as it is simply handy.
- Most readers incorporate display lighting allowing you to read your favorite book in a dark place or during nighttime.
The disadvantages of eBooks
- Long periods spent in front of a computer will cause eyestrain.
- You can simply carry a book instead of a device or a laptop if you are not that techie.
- A laptop’s average battery life is 4-6 hours. After your e-reader or tablet or laptop runs out of power, you cannot continue reading your book.
- Software bugs, just like in apps can cause it to freeze up.
- You cannot purchase an eBook if you don’t have a credit card.
A book is an arranged printed sheets of paper held together between two covers.
For centuries, people from all walks of life used paper book as the medium of learning materials. We learn from histories and cultures, children go to bed with their bedtime books, you get mesmerized and captivated with love stories, fiction and non-fictions stories and you learn how to cook from cook books and so on and so forth.
Advantages of a regular or paper book:
- Bookstores are everywhere so you can buy the new book anytime you want.
- You can carry them around wherever you what as since it is portable.
- They’re cheap and you can get a copy from a thrift store.
- No eyestrain like when you are using a computer or tablet.
- Paper books don’t need power to function. With sufficient lighting, you are set to read your book anywhere.
- You can actually flip on the pages of a book, something that you cannot do with an eBook.
- Carrying more than 2 books can be heavy and bulky especially during travel.
- You need lightings – sufficient lights in order to read them.
- You cannot erase markings or notes you wrote on the paper.